Updated: Sep 2, 2020
There are 4 choices of veggie burger for this week's class.
The basic mixture is the same but you will add in your choice of main flavouring ingredient from:
- Spinach - Beetroot - Cauliflower - Black beans
Served with chips and a homemade coleslaw.
Ingredients list here:
- Cauliflower/beetroot: break into florets/cut into quarters, drizzle some olive oil and bake in oven at 180/200/gas mark 6 until a knife goes through easily. Blend until chunky.
- Spinach: blend until chunky - do NOT make a puree!
- Bean: drain your tin of beans, rinse, then mash with a fork (you can leave some whole for texture)
Peel your potatoes and slice into chips/wedges. Drizzle with vegetable/sunflower oil and sprinkle with spice of your choice: paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, celery salt etc. Throw in the oven.
Put your grains on to cook:
- couscous: Put 1 mug of couscous in a big bowl and add 2 mugs of boiling water. Cover until needed
- Quinoa: Put 1 mug quinoa in a saucepan and cover with 2 mugs of cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered until all the water has disappeared. Take off the heat, cover and leave for 5 mins so that the quinoa will go fluffy.
- Bulgar wheat: Put 1 mug of bulgar wheat in a saucepan and cover with 4 mugs of cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered. Check after 15 mins if it is cooked. Drain and leave to cool.
Saute two chopped onions for 5 mins to take off the raw flavour. Add 2 tsps of garlic and cook until fragrant.
Making the burger mix
Into a big bowl put:
· Breadcrumbs (2 slices blended)
· 2tbsp ground almonds/walnuts (optional)
· 1 tbsp flax/linseeds
· The sauteed onions
· Spices: 1tbsp paprika, chilli powder (and a fresh chopped chilli if you like), 1tsp garlic powder (optional)
· Add 2tbsp of your grain per burger you want to make
· 1 egg
Mix with a fork until combined. Put a frying pan on hot to heat up while you make the patties. Add a glug of olive oil.
Put a little water on your hands to make it easier to handle the mix. Scoop out mixture and mould into a burger size of your choice. Make sure to squeeze the mixture firmly at the start to combine it.
GENTLY place into the frying pan and do not touch for at least 2 minutes! Check the underside with a spatula to see if it is golden brown. Carefully turn the burger over - do not flip!
While burgers are cooking make the coleslaw by shredding/grating white or red cabbage and a carrot, and slicing a spring onion.
Make your dressing (choose one):
· mayonnaise and lime juice
· olive oil, lemon juice and white wine vinegar
· creme fraiche/yoghurt with lemon/lime juice
Top your coleslaw with pumpkin seeds or pomegranate seeds and a handful of fresh herbs: mint/parsley/coriander
Serve your burgers in buns (or lettuce leaves if you don't like too much bread).
Dress with your choices of: cheese, leaves, tomatoes, pineapple, fried egg, anything else you like.
Join us for a Tuesday cooking class.
Tag us on Instagram if you use this recipe and we'll add you to our story! @cookwithkelly